We have a problem - an increasingly unbalanced relationship to food, that leads to weight gain, obesity, chronic illness, low self-esteem and negative body image.Solution that puts balance back is -- mindfulness.
Mindfulness is simply awareness of the present moment without judgment. When you become aware of your physical state, your thoughts, your feelings, and your actions as they are in the here and now, you increase your ability to free yourself from unhealthy eating habits, make the best self-care decisions and improve your overall quality of life.
Mindful eating is a practice that:
- Engages all parts of us—our body, our heart, and our mind.
- Is about awareness of your eating habits, sensory / bodily sensations and present thoughts and emotions.
- Has more to do with where, when, how and why you eat than what you eat.
- Immerses us in the colors, textures, scents, tastes, and even sounds of drinking and eating.
- Allows us to be curious and even playful as we investigate our responses to food and our inner cues to hunger and satisfaction.
- Replaces self-criticism with self-nurturing. It replaces shame with respect for your own inner wisdom.
- A way to rediscover one of the most pleasurable things we do as human beings.
- A path to uncovering many wonderful activities that are going on right under our noses and within our own bodies.
- Helps us tap into our body’s natural wisdom and our heart’s natural capacity for openness and gratitude.
Mindful eating is NOT:
- Based on anxiety about the future but directed by the actual choices that are in front of you and by your direct experiences of health while eating and drinking.
- A diet. Nobody says what you should or should not eat.
Benefits of a Mindful Eating
- It’s not a diet. There are no menus or recipes.
- Reduces your stress.
- Disrupts the emotional eating habit.
- Gets you back in touch with your body’s real needs.
- Helps you appreciate food more, so you eat less.
- Scientifically researched.
- Helps you manage your weight without starving or restricting.
Here is how you can start your mindful eating journey.