Your family will love this spicy cold-weather favorite, and Dr. Peeke gives tips to make it a healthier indulgence, too.
"Making gingerbread is a holiday tradition I've loved since I was a kid," says Dr. Peeke, my role model and teacher.
Ingredients for Original Recipe:
1/2 cup white sugar
1/2 cup butter
1 cup molasses
2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 1/2 tsps. baking soda
1 tsp. ground cinnamon
1 tsp ground ginger
1/2 tsp. ground cloves
1/2 tsp. salt 1 cup hot water
Few tips that make this recipe healthier, without sacrificing any of the flavor or texture of the original.
For the Healthier Alternative:
-Use 2 cups whole-wheat pastry flour rather than the recommended 2 1/2 cups white flour, to add a little more fiber
- Use 1 whole egg and 1 egg white rather than two whole eggs to lower the cholesterol content.
-Replace the white sugar with a natural brown sugar product like Sugar in the Raw, or experiment with Stevia or your favorite non-calorie sweetener.
-Replace the butter with 3/4 cup canola oil to decrease the saturated fat and add heart-healthy monosaturated fats and omega-3 fatty acids
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
2. Grease and flour a 9-inch square pan.
3. In a large bowl, cream together the sugar and butter. Beat in the egg, and mix in the molasses.
4. In another bowl, sift together the flour, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, ginger, and cloves.
5. Add the dry ingredients to the wet, then stir in the hot water.
6. Pour into the prepared pan and bake for 1 hour, or until a knife inserted in the center comes out clean.
7. Allow to cool in pan before serving.
Find our more about Dr.Pamela Peek - my role model and teacher.
Additional holiday articles:
- How to Overcome Holiday Stress and Relax on Holiday
- Breath Your Holiday Stress Away
- De-Stress and Health Gifts to Put Under the Tree
- Surviving the Holidays Without Holiday Weight Gain or Stress
- How to Improve Sleep During the Cold and Flu Season
- Holiday Stress Tips: Become Resilient
- Is Your Superwoman's Mindsets Causing You Stress?
- How to Eat Healthy during Holidays Without the Extra Weight
- How to Deal with Traveling Stress